Overdose Survivor Outreach
On-call support for families and friends after an overdose death
Our work with the bereaved has taught us that every death has its own unique
type of grief. This is particularly true for grief following a fatal drug overdose.
To address this need in our community, we created the Overdose Survivor
Outreach Program in partnership with the Frederick County Health Department.
Frederick Health Hospice’s specially trained grief counselor will
be on call to support first responders as they notify the victim’s
loved ones following an overdose death to provide compassion, support,
Through this special and unique program, our grief Counselor is available to:
• Respond on call to the scene of a fatal overdose upon police or
first responder request
• Follow up with the bereaved to coordinate support and resources
• Refer survivors to peer support, treatment, recovery, and harm
• Collaborate with the Health Department’s peer recovery support team
• Provide private, individual grief counseling (up to 8 sessions)
• Facilitate overdose grief support groups
• Provide community education and training
For more information, contact our grief counselor, Victoria Leizear.